Search Page | Back to Results
Board of Directors
REPORTING TO THIS POSITION
Vice President of Programs, Senior Director of Guest Group Services, Vice President of Finance/Administration, Senior Director of Adventure Ministries, Vice President of Advancement, Senior Director of Facilities/Capital Projects, Senior Director of Communications/Marketing, Senior Director of Camp Services, Senior Director of Kidder Creek, and Executive Assistant.
Mount Hermon (Santa Cruz, CA area)
Founded in 1905 and holding its first summer of ministry in 1906, Mount Hermon was the first Christian camp west of the Mississippi. It has always been both evangelical and interdenominational, consistently proclaiming Jesus as Lord and Savior, teaching the authoritative Word of God, and serving churches and Christian ministries both in the U.S. and worldwide. Mount Hermon’s origins trace to the American evangelist Dwight L. Moody, whose conference center founded in the east, influenced the original program and facilities.
Now more than 100 years later, Mount Hermon is still a place of retreat from daily stress and rigors, a place for discovering and renewing one’s relationship with Jesus Christ, a place where the spirit of God moves in ways that are always incredible. The “high” view of the Bible as God’s authoritative Word permeates the programs, encouraging an environment where the truths of Scripture can be taught,
understood, and applied in daily living.
Throughout its history, Bible teachers who have taught at Mount Hermon have included many of the most highly respected preachers and teachers in the world. By God’s goodness and faithfulness, Mount Hermon has grown to be one of the largest Christian camp and conference centers in the world. It is most known for its ministry to and special focus on families through summer Family Camps, while also providing camping experiences for elementary, junior high and high school ages.
To proclaim Jesus as Lord and Savior, teach the authoritative Word of God, and serve His Church in our nation and throughout the world.
To see lives refreshed, renewed, and transformed by Jesus.
EXPANDING INFLUENCE OF MOUNT HERMON
Mount Hermon’s properties are in some of the most beautiful places on earth! The original site, which includes an elementary camp, junior high and high school/college camp, and a family conference center, is nestled in the towering redwoods of the Santa Cruz mountains just six miles from Monterey Bay. In Santa Cruz, there are three self-contained camp and conference facilities:
• Ponderosa Lodge is geared for junior high and senior high students in the summer and guest groups of various ages during the other nine months.
• Redwood Camp delights elementary-aged kids with a full schedule in the summer and Outdoor Science School during the school months.
• The Conference Center provides a Christian Family Camp summer experience designed for every member of the family.
• Kidder Creek Camp is an adventure camp located in the Scott Valley near Mount Shasta. It sits against the stunning backdrop of the Marble Mountain Wilderness area, one of California’s oldest formally designated wilderness areas. This camp offers a broad array of traditional, adventure and horseback riding camps for youth of all ages. The wilderness programs engage in whitewater rafting, rock climbing, mountain biking, cliff jumping, and much, much more!
Beyond the expected summertime programming, Mount Hermon’s year-round Christ-centered camps,conferences and concerts serve the entire family. More than 85,000 people experience Mount Hermon each year. Each facility operates non-summer Mount Hermon-sponsored camps and conferences, as well as hosting programs provided by guest groups who support the ministry objectives.
Amid all the variety, one thing is consistent—God is at work at Mount Hermon, and the result is lives refreshed, renewed, and transformed.
God has blessed Mount Hermon throughout its 117-year history with excellent, godly leadership. The opportunity to become the next President/CEO of this organization presents the challenge and privilege of leading a godly and skilled team in the pursuit of the next phase of God’s purposes in the life of this internationally respected ministry.
The next President/CEO will be leading a ministry that overtly places Jesus in all its programming, including a significant focus on families of all ages and stages, youth, children, marriage, as well as hosting church and ministry groups from all over the state (and sometimes even from other parts of the country and world). Mount Hermon also ministers to others through its Adventure Ministries offerings, providing
stretching experiences from corporate team building to other opportunities.
The President/CEO provides executive leadership for the entire Mount Hermon Association organization by (a) protecting and defending sound biblical doctrine, (b) furthering MHA’s Christ-centered mission, bylaws and Statement of Beliefs; (c) setting and reinforcing the staff culture; (d) acting as spokesperson for the ideals of Christian ministry, particularly those of Christian camps and conference centers; (e) providing vision to engage in long-range planning and corporate operational, financial and programmatic strategic planning that incorporates the policies, goals and aspirations of the MHA Board of Directors, staff and constituents; and (f) providing community leadership to build understanding about the nature and function of the organization, instilling local support and confidence in it.
• Lead the staff in developing and embracing the MHA ministry vision.
• Take primary responsibility for fundraising for new and existing needs based on a continuing evaluation of the goals and objectives of MHA.
• Initiate strategic planning for program and facility developments of MHA in response to changes in culture and emerging opportunities by working in direct consultation with the MHA Leadership Team and Board of Directors.
• Lead the staff in building and maintaining a sound, fiscally responsible and sustainable operation through annual budgets and accountability.
• Set the culture in holding team staff accountable to budgets and established ministry and occupancy goals.
• Meet donor funding goals for subsidizing operational shortfalls and capital investment, staffing shortages combined with high cost of living and wage pressures.
• Maintain positive relationships with members of the Board of Directors, Trustees, staff, constituents, donors, conference speakers, community members, external camp and conference directors, and government officials for the purpose of gaining and maintaining support and confidence in the ministry of MHA.
• Continually work for good relationships with MHA conferees, property owners, and the local community at-large. This position serves as the unofficial “Mayor” of Mount Hermon, sometimes helping to resolve community issues and helping to enforce the community standards.
• Provide avenues for spiritual growth and continuing self-improvement of all MHA staff to ensure adherence to MHA’s Statement of Beliefs, the Standards of Conduct outlined in the Employee Handbook, as well as to support the continued transformation of lives among guests and staff members.
• Prepare and submit comprehensive written reports for and attend all Board of Director meetings.
• Increase camper occupancy in all programs.
• Report to and attend all Trustee meetings.
• Develop fraternal relations with national and international evangelical organizations whose purposes are analogous to MHA.
• Serve as the de facto “Mayor”, acting as ambassador and Christ’s image bearer to the private homeowners at Mount Hermon, Santa Cruz County officials and the local community.
• Known as an inspired, Spirit-led leader who places great dependence on the Lord through prayer.
• Demonstrates an authentic, vibrant, growing, and mature walk with Christ in both personal and professional relationships.
• Is recognized by colleagues as a person of impeccable moral integrity, a person absolutely above reproach.
• A servant leader.
• A heart for God’s evangelical mission.
• A team builder/leader who can both encourage and challenge highly capable and
• Is energized by being with people and is a natural encourager and teacher.
REQUISITE EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and shows evidence of being a ‘life-long learner.”
• Minimum of ten years of experience serving as a senior and executive leader in an organization with at least 50 staff and a budget of at least $10 million, preferably in a ministry context.
• Comfortable with a ten-year minimum tenure as President/CEO, and open to moving to the Santa Cruz, CA area, ideally residing on the Mount Hermon campus or within its immediate vicinity.
• Significant fundraising experience, possessing proactive instincts for making “the ask” with major donors and funding sources; enjoys and flourishes with external networking.
• Possesses proven organizational leadership and management abilities for developing and implementing vision and strategy coupled with excellent team leadership skills.
• Experienced leader in a collaborative culture where capable leaders are empowered, and their input valued.
• Is a strategic thinker and visionary.
• Has strong experience in Christian Camping or church ministry.
• Has knowledge, understanding and interest in the inner working of the hospitality
and event management business operations.
• Inspires others in ‘up front’ situations, able to lead groups of all sizes from small staff meetings to large public services and gatherings.
• Possesses business acumen consistent with the general leadership requirements of a CEO.
• Forceful and decisive in crisis situations.
• Works easily with leaders across denominational lines having had a breadth of experience in ministry organizations; possesses a winsome and engaging ability to also build healthy relationships with local community and governing officials.
• Ability to be open to and conversant with pastors, people, and campers from a diverse denominational background.
• Is interested in and able to understand the culture of our times and translate those insights into the program, culture, and leadership of a Christian evangelical community such as Mount Hermon.
• Possesses a desire to join an organization whose primary purpose is to lift Jesus Christ and teach the Scriptures through our camping programs.
• Possesses the vision to minister to non-believers and people who want to grow in their faith through our camping programs.
• Will fully ascribe to the MHA Statement of Beliefs, Human Sexuality, and Sanctity of Human Life statements.
• While only the President/CEO is being hired, the spouse, if there is one, will embrace the vision and values of the organization and the President’s responsibilities. The spouse’s personality, spiritual walk, desires to support the President/CEO, and heart for the mission of Mount Hermon are important. There are no official duties for the spouse and he or she could have their own career.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE ATTRIBUTES
• Has personally been significantly impacted by the ministry of Mount Hermon or a similar Christian conference center or camp.
• Has served on or worked with the Board of Directors of a non-profit ministry.
• Is known as an excellent teacher of the Bible with a practical application style.
• Has a seminary background (preferred).
• Has experience working with or alongside government, and the ability to manage hundreds of staff and multiple priorities within the confines of government oversight.
This is an opportunity for someone with a close relationship with Christ, excellent executive leadership experience, knowledge, and ability to lead a complex Christian camping ministry, effective people skills, and a strong desire to serve the Lord in an environment committed to providing contexts in which lives can be transformed by the truth and love of Jesus Christ.
MHA fully respects the need for confidentiality with the information supplied by interested parties and assure them that their backgrounds and interests will not be discussed with anyone, including our client, without their prior consent, nor will reference contacts be made until mutual interest has been established. As part of the process, the candidate will authorize a background check for driving, history, credit, social media, degree verification and criminal records.
Additional information concerning MHA can be found at https://www.mounthermon.org.
THE SEARCH & SELECTION PROCESS
C.O.O. Services LLC has been retained by the MHA CEO Search Committee to manage and conduct this search. The Search Committee is comprised of board members, trustees, and staff representatives.
This Opportunity Profile is being shared with an extensive number of referral sources in Christian camping as well as with a wide network of faith-based organizations and individuals able to recommend qualified candidates or referral sources.
C.O.O. Services will evaluate and consider each applicant. The search consultant will conduct in-depth interviews of the most qualified candidates over Zoom. Three to four selected individuals will be advanced to the Search Committee for their serious consideration. 360-degree reference checks will be conducted concurrently. Finalist candidates will be interviewed by the Search Committee, the Board of Directors, and
Board of Trustees. The expectation is that the selected candidate will be on board within a few months of acceptance.
Candidate nominations, resumes, cover letters and questions should be directed to:
Managing Search Consultant
C.O.O. Services LLC
STATEMENT OF BELIEFS
1. We believe in the verbal and complete inspiration by God of the original writings of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
2. We believe in the one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe Jesus Christ was begotten of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and is true God and true Man.
4. We believe the Holy Spirit is God, at work in the world to execute all divine activity and especially to reveal Jesus Christ and to glorify Him.
5. We believe man was created in the image of God and is loved by Him, but through sinful inheritance and choice, is alienated, separated from God and under His righteous judgment.
6. We believe the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures as a substitutionary and complete sacrifice, and that all who repent and believe in Him are justified, wholly apart from human merit and works, on the ground of His shed blood and resurrection.
7. We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension into Heaven, and in His present life there for us, as High Priest and Advocate.
8. We believe in the second, visible and personal coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to establish His worldwide Kingdom on the earth.
9. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and unjust, the eternal blessedness of the saved and the everlasting separation from God of the unsaved.
10. We believe all who receive by faith the Lord Jesus Christ are born of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God and members of the body of Christ, the one true Church, whose life is visibly expressed wherever even two or three are gathered in His name.
11. We believe the Christian life is not a reformation, but a transformation, in which Christ Himself relives His life through the believer’s whole being. Such a life will be preeminently characterized by love, truth, and purity.
12. We believe the Church is commissioned to evangelize the world by proclaiming Jesus Christ as Lord, and by living as His servants among men.
Time: Full-Time Year Round
Category: Executive Director
Updated: 12/19/2023 2:47:53 PM