Search Page | Back to Results
The Sous Chef reports to the Food Service Manager/Head Chef and will work to support the mission, vision, and commitments of Wheaton College and HoneyRock’s food service operation. The Sous Chef assists with all kitchen functions including kitchen management, office administration, purchasing, food preparation, menu planning, kitchen sanitation, wilderness trip kitchen, volunteer management, human resources activities and dining room management. This is a professional, full-time year-round salaried position located in Three Lakes, Wisconsin.
Duties and Responsibilities
Foster a culture of developmental coaching and vocational discipleship across the Food Service department through growth producing experiences and training as appropriate. Developmentally coach and disciple students, seasonal staff, and campers who serve in the kitchen. Fulfill the mission of HoneyRock through the leadership progression, internships, and various programs as participants serve in food service as part of their experience at HoneyRock.
Assist the Food Service Manager/Head Chef with:
- kitchen management, staff supervision, food production, cleaning and sanitation, scheduling, and purchasing. Daily kitchen management is 75% of the position’s time on average.
- management of special dietary needs providing safe and good quality meal options that meet the unique dietary needs of our constituent base. Dietary management includes communicating with other departments concerning those needs and maintaining updated documentation of dietary needs. Menu planning is also a part of this process.
- supporting the operation of the trip kitchen as requested.
- management of all supply costs according to established budgets: food service expense (e.g., food-beverage, chemical, disposables), staff labor, energy usage.
Work independently and seek understanding of work assignments with the use of clear communication. Supervise all food service operation in the absence of the Food Service Manager/Head Chef and utilize effective decision making in the best interests of HoneyRock.
Ensure proper food service sanitation standards are followed according to ServSafe guidelines, personal hygiene standards, time and temperature management, cleaning and sanitizing standards, and cross-contamination prevention.
Lead seasonal staff and volunteer recruiting for the food service department year-round. This process includes working with other department leaders, our camp software program, paperwork, onboarding and scheduling of housing and other employment details. Additionally, screening candidates by email, video conference or in person.
Provide cross-departmental planning and support as a member of the core professional staff of HoneyRock by participating in strategic planning, staff retreats, ministry assessment, and task forces as requested.
This job description is intended to represent key areas of responsibilities; specific assignments may vary from time to time, and other duties will be assigned.
- (BA or AS) Culinary degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years in a high volume, high quality kitchen/restaurant/food service operation.
- ServSafe Manager Certification preferred, required within 90 days of hire (company sponsored).
- Demonstrated management and organizational skills, minimum 2-years supervisory experience.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office and specially Excel to produce relevant reports.
- Ability to work independently and accept supervision.
- Skills in organization/administration and customer relations.
- Ability to read technical manuals and apply the information relating to food service.
The Sous Chef is regularly required to sit, stand, talk, hear, and will experience and use repetitive hand motion including gripping and holding. Included is the ability to stand, walk, reach, bend, and lift up to 75 pounds. You will also be exposed to various temperature conditions from hot to freezing (-10 degree walk in freezer). Some work assignments will be outdoors at various times of the year which can include hot, cold, dry, or wet conditions.
The schedule will include evenings and weekends as needed. Typical school-year schedule is 10:00am to 7:00pm (September-April). Typical summer season schedule is 8:00am to 5:00pm (May-August).
FLSA Status – Exempt
As a Christ-centered community, Wheaton College faculty and staff must affirm the College’s Statement of Faith as expressing their own theological convictions and agree to live by the moral standards in Wheaton’s Community Covenant, modeling these commitments for the Christian formation of our students. Wheaton College faculty and staff also support the Christ-Centered Diversity Commitment which highlights our desire to treat all individuals as equal image-bearers of Jesus Christ through diversity, inclusion, justice and unity.
Updated July 2023
Time: Full-Time Year Round
Category: Food Services
Updated: 2/21/2024 2:06:58 PM