Search Page | Back to Results
Summer Camp Counselor for At Risk Children
WHAT WE DO:
Cross Bar X is a camp for socially and economically disadvantaged youth. We want to provide an amazing camping experience for those that can't afford your typical high-dollar, high-volume camp. At CBX, we seek to provide an intimate, high-quality camp for young people ages 8-18. We do this by working with 15-25 kids per
week, keeping genders separated from each other, keeping counselor-to-camper ratios low (1:4 or 1:5), and by placing a large significance on 1 on 1 and small-group learning. We also provide tremendous activities in the form of a ropes course, giant swing, lake, backpacking, horseback riding, bb and archery, and much more! You could definitely say that CBX is not your typical camp!
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR:
Cross Bar X is looking for 8 counselors (4 guys, 4 girls) ages 18+ who first and foremost have a love for the Lord, a desire to share their faith, and an interest in ministering to kids who are in deep need of love.
The young people that we work with are often from difficult homes, challenging backgrounds, and sometimes abusive situations. It is our desire to have a lasting impact on each and every one of the kids that Christ brings our way! If that makes you feel a bit overwhelmed, that's okay. We can teach you to be a camp counselor as long as the Lord has given you a desire and passion.
WHAT IS YOUR COMMITMENT:
While counseling, you will be spending 23 hours a day living with campers. You will be ministering to rural and urban youth. When not counseling you will be on "Support Staff" and will work in the kitchen, assist in leading program activities, and other support duties. You will be expected to cooperate in a spirit of teamwork and unity.
Commitment dates: May 31st - August 1st 2023
There is a shorter commitment period if these dates don't work for you.
WHAT ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a counselor, you are the single most important element of our camp program. You will be showing campers Christ´s love in the excitement of camp life. Some of your activities will include leading Bible lessons, group and one-on-one counseling, hiking, camping, swimming in the lake, ropes course, horseback riding, acting out skits, shooting archery and bb-guns. It is the counselor's goal to make sure that each camper has been presented with the Gospel of Jesus Christ before they leave.
* Responsible for carrying out the camp program with campers.
* Responsible for the health and safety of campers.
* Live with assigned campers day and night.
* Develop close, positive relationships with assigned campers.
* Promptly attend staff meetings.
* Lead or assist program activities enthusiastically!
* Participate with campers in all camp activities such as backpacking, skits, games, swimming, singing, high ropes course, games, except for assigned time off.
* Prepare and teach assigned Bible lessons.
* Make time to meet personally with assigned campers.
* Be an active part of the support staff when not counseling. This may include dishes, assisting the cook, leading or assisting crafts and other camp activities, life guarding, and maintenance.
* Openly and honestly share needs and concerns with the Camp Director and/or the Program Director.
* Promote unity by not gossiping, using humor that belittles someone, not showing disrespect for authority.
* At the end of each or during camp, fill out camper follow-up forms, write camper birthday and Christmas Cards.
* Present the Gospel of Jesus Christ to campers in both group and private settings and make sure each assigned camper knows what the Bible says about having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Counselors will receive room, board, and $2500 per summer
Please call or email if you have any questions!
Time: Full-Time Seasonal
Updated: 1/19/2023 10:29:37 AM