Search Page | Back to Results
Position: Assistant Manager
Reports to: Managing Director
Job Description: Responsible for overseeing buildings and grounds and assisting with camp operations and programming.
• Maintenance and upkeep of all buildings and grounds at Camp Judson
• Oversight of vehicle maintenance
• Responsible for facilities maintenance
• Care and cleaning of facilities and assistance with supervision of janitorial staff
• Assistance with preparations for and hosting guest groups
• Assistance with camp promotion with churches and other groups
• Assistance as needs arise
Additional duties: Applicants should possess and/or demonstrate the following qualities and/or skills —
• Assistance with preparations for and hosting of guest groups
o Prepare cabins, meetings rooms and audio-visual equipment prior to arrival
o Distribute firewood
o Fill pop machines
o Check weekend groups in
o Assist with camp store
• Assistance with and supervision of remodeling projects and construction under the direction of the Managing Director
• Clean cabins and lodges and supervision of staff doing cleaning
• Lawn care, park and lake maintenance, road maintenance
• Training and supervision of summer staff under the direction of the Managing Director
• Maintenance of, and care for, operation of camp water and sewer system
• Assistance with day-to-day operations and administration
• Willingness to live in on-site housing
• Work evenings and weekends as needed
• Take calls when on-call
Desired Background: Applicants should possess and/or demonstrate the following qualities and/or skills —
• Committed Christian with a growing faith.
• Commitment and enthusiasm for the Christian camping ministry.
• Willingness to carry out assigned tasks with or without direct supervision
• Ability to train, work with and supervise part-time and program staff.
• Flexibility and ability to pivot as needed with the dynamic nature of camps
• Patience that compares to Job
• Competency in carpentry, construction, maintenance and repairs, with at least 5 years of experience in this field.
• Ability to move between tasks and priorities regularly, as needs of campers arise.
• Excellent customer service skills and ability to deal with all type of personalities, even the most difficult ones
• Flexibility to work unregimented hours, with calls possible at any time during the camping season, which includes evenings and weekends. Long hours May through September (60 – 80/week, approximately 5.5 days per week), with more flexibility October through April.
Physical Requirements: Applicants must capable of the following —
• In good health, emotionally stable and able to handle the position’s mental, emotional and physical challenges.
• Hear and see emergency signals and alarms.
• Respond to and move over rough terrain to assist campers or staff in the event of an accident, emergency or search and rescue effort.
• Physically able to do manual labor for long periods.
• Lift and move construction equipment, materials, tools, camp equipment, furniture, supplies, and luggage in excess of 50 pounds.
• $50,000 base salary
• $15,000 toward healthcare
• On-site housing
• Meals supplied through camp kitchen on working days when available
• Two weeks of vacation per year, able to be used after six months of employment. If employee leaves employment within 12 months, any used vacation must be paid back.
• Three weeks of vacation earned per year after three years of employment
• $3,000 toward retirement, after one year of employment
• Residing in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
This is not your typical job, but it also has benefits and blessings that aren’t typical in other jobs. You will work harder than you’ve ever worked before and, at the same time, you will see the hand of God at work in so many ways. If you are interested in applying for the position and think you have what it takes, please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Time: Full-Time Year Round
Category: Assistant Director
Updated: 4/27/2023 5:46:20 PM