Search Page | Back to Results
Job Title: Lead Cook
Area/Location: Camp MayMac; Felton, California
Reports To: Camp Manager
Subordinates: Assistant Cooks, Food Service Workers, & Volunteers
Date Submitted for Revision: 8.24.18
Job Description Approved: 8.27.18
Classification: Specialist / non-exempt / part time 30-hours a week
Salary: Range starts at $23-hour DOE
Camp MayMac is a year-round retreat facility located in the beautiful Santa Cruz mountains. We are currently looking for a Lead Cook to join our hospitality-oriented team. We love God and desire to serve him by serving our guests. The Lead Cook will guide our kitchen staff and volunteers as they prepare and serve food for our guests. The Lead Cook will work with our Camp Manager to plan and budget for all aspects of the kitchen and dining room. In addition, you will be responsible for menu planning, purchasing, preparing, and serving food. As the Lead Cook, you will supervise and train other kitchen staff and volunteers. In addition to working cooperatively with others, the Lead Cook will need to be able to work independently, always keeping safety a top priority. The Lead Cook will participate in a weekly Discovery Bible Study. The ideal candidate will be a mature Christ-follower, have a heart for service, and enjoy working in a camp setting.
1. Maintain a safe, orderly, and efficient environment in all food service areas.
2. Train and direct all kitchen staff in food service operations including food preparation, serving, and clean up.
3. Provide a hospitable, service-oriented environment, modeling a positive example and tone with all staff and volunteers.
4. Initiate corrective actions with staff as needed, and involving the Camp Manager as necessary.
5. Inform Camp Manager of any equipment or facility repair needs.
6. Other tasks as assigned by the Camp Manager.
1. Plan and review menus with Camp Manager.
2. Plan menus according to budget and guest specifications, including age, ethnicity, and dietary restrictions.
Ordering, Receiving, & Storage of Food
1. Order all supplies in a timely manner.
2. Submit all purchase orders and invoices on a weekly basis.
3. Receive orders personally or arrange for another staff person to receive them.
4. Maintain stock in a neat and organized manner.
5. Rotate stock regularly.
Food Preparation, Service, & Cleaning
1. Carry out all facets of food preparation and service in accordance with California Health Code standards.
2. Ensure that kitchen and dining room area are cleaned and sanitized according to California Health Code standards.
3. Maintain high food quality standards
1. Operate within budget provided by Camp Manager.
2. Make recommendations and receive advance approval from Camp Manager for all equipment or food purchases beyond normal expenditures.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Stand for prolonged amounts of time
• Walk, bend, twist, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, and crouch
• Push 100 pounds
• Lift and carry 75 pounds
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
• Finger and hand dexterity to feel, handle, and operate objects, tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms
• Must be able to read and follow standard recipes
• Must be able to hear and follow oral directions
• Must be able to work cooperatively and safely
Required Education and Experience
• Minimum 2-years experience in professional kitchen
• Must possess or be willing to obtain the California Food Handler Card and accredited Food Safety Certification within the first 30-days of employment
• ServeSafe certification
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Collaboration skills
• Customer service/client focus
Preferred Education and Experience
• College coursework
• Culinary school
• Supervisory experience
• This job operates in a professional kitchen, housed with equipment such as an oven, stove, dishwasher, slicer, steamer, mixer, and chef’s knives
• The employee is frequently exposed to cold, heat, steam, fire, and noise
• Occasionally around wet, slippery floors or surfaces
• Occasionally around chemicals
Additional Eligibility Qualifications for Cityteam Ministries
• Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
• Must be active in a local Christian body of believers or at least pursuing community with other Christ-followers
• Must have compatible theology on major issues of Cityteam's Statement of Faith
• Must be committed to serving God and the body of Christ
Time: Part-Time Year Round
Category: Food Services
Updated: 10/9/2018 3:32:18 PM
408 232 5600