Search Page | Back to Results
We are looking for someone with a strong work ethic and a desire to live and work in a close community to serve in the much-needed role of Retreat Intern. We are passionate about our mission statement and are looking for a like-minded person who is willing to serve alongside us. Please thoughtfully consider each part of our mission statement, job description, and description of our ministry and community before you apply.
Most communication will be handled by email at first over the next few months until the position has been filled. Initial inquiries will not be responded to immediately so as to give us time to consider the many applicants. Not all applicants will receive a response for this position.
To inspire Christ-like change through
Authentic Relationships and
The makeup of our community determines a large part of what it is like to live and work here. We have about 80 people who live on-site year round, comprised of: full-time staff, their families, gap-year students, and interns. Since we are so far from any large towns or cities, all of our full-time staff lives on-site. One example of our distance from town is that it takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to the closest Walmart in Kerrville. Camp Eagle is a beautiful place with many natural resources but calls for somewhat remote living. Our staff is fairly active and involved within our community and ministry. Generally we like good food, playing outdoors, working hard as we are very passionate about our mission statement. We encourage applicants, at a further stage in the hiring process, to visit and ask many questions from various staff about what it is like to live and work here. Camp Eagle recently went through a fast growth period and is seeking to be excellent in all we do and become a leader in our industry. However, just like each of us, we have many shortcomings but hope to use even those to serve Jesus Christ. Does that sound like something you want to do?
· The Bible is God's written revelation to man; and that it is verbally inspired, authoritative and without error in the original manuscript.
· Jesus Christ is God's Son, born of a virgin. His sinless life, miracles, death on the cross to provide for the redemption, bodily resurrection and ascension into heaven, present ministry of intercession for all who believe, and his return in power and glory.
· God's Holy Spirit performs the miracle of new birth in an unbeliever and indwells believers, enabling them to live a godly life.
· Man was created in the image of God, but because of sin, was alienated from God. Only through faith in Christ alone for salvation, which was made possible by His death and resurrection, can that alienation be removed and eternal life secured.
· If you have further questions regarding Camp Eagle's statement of faith or testimony, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB TITLE: Retreat Intern
REPORTS TO: Retreats Director – Timmy Ward
TERM: August 2018 – Early June, 2019
Retreat Interns will be placed in roles that are up front with guests. They will be the face, hands, and feet of Camp Eagle and God’s purpose here. This unique position will allow Retreat Interns to work together as a team and with the other Retreat Season staff (directors & support staff) to fill a vital role at Camp Eagle by serving groups to fulfill Camp Eagle’s mission. The team of Retreat Interns will work with most of the groups that come to Camp Eagle through the non-summer months. They will do whatever is necessary to serve and get to know guests well, as instructed by program directors and coordinators. Groups are comprised of mostly youth from churches and schools.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY (after given training):
Key Areas of Responsibility (after given training)
- Building relationship with and getting to know our guests
- Leading group development
- Running adventure activities
- Leading outdoor education sessions
- Prepping for new groups
- Running retail
- Group orientations
- Cleaning camp after groups
- Hosting groups as needed
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Linens upkeep
- Special projects (construct program elements)
- Waterfront upkeep, installation, and removal
- Challenge course upkeep
- Event planning
- Trail maintenance
- Other jobs based on Retreat Intern’s set of skills or passions
- Take part in both onsite and offsite Marketing/Recruiting efforts
- Opportunity to work with other departments
- Basic administrative tasks (scanning, cash counts, email/phone communications)
- Gets excited by meeting and getting to know new people frequently
- Strong sense of hospitality and customer service
- Ability to create energy in a group setting
- Ability to create a portion of a schedule for a group
- Strong sense of community and ability to get along with many staff within a small community
- Strength in controlling emotions when tired or frustrated and continue to be hospitable, smile, and treat guests with kindness
- College Degree is preferred
- Easily communicates with guests and youth pastors in a professional manner
- Willing and able to learn and be teachable
- Work well with and relate to youth
- Stipend – Payment will be received every other Friday.
- Housing and Basic Utilities – is provided in the Staff housing area (including wifi internet, landline phone)
- Meals – are provided when working with a group
- Time Off – 80 total days off -(over a ten month period)
- Training – CPR, Lifeguard, group development, and ropes training
OTHER DUTIES OF ALL CAMP EAGLE STAFF:
Camp Eagle operates year-round. We have guests on the premises almost every day of the year. Serving guests is our number one priority, and therefore ALL staff must participate in guest service in some capacity. Tasks may include cooking, cleaning, facilitating group activities, running retail locations, general maintenance of camp property, and work projects as needed. There are often groups here on weekends, and all staff members will be required to work certain weekends as needed.
This job will be performed primarily on location at Camp Eagle.
Minimal travel will be required of this position.
- Ability to walk for long distances across varying terrain.
- Some lifting of heavy objects will likely be required.
Will spend most of the workday outside – including working in possible adverse weather conditions and/or slippery surfaces.
This job description is not entirely comprehensive of all tasks required by this position.
Time: Full-Time Seasonal
Category: Guest Services
Updated: 6/21/2018 1:59:55 PM