Search Page | Back to Results
Food Service Manager
Vision for Position:
The person hired for this role will be a gifted leader and administrator, who has a passion for teaching and providing excellent service in a hospitality-oriented ministry. This role will require a dynamic skill mix of teaching strength with administration, organization and strategic, people-oriented leadership. A critical attribute will be someone who desires to create a reputation as “best in the business” for food service in the camping industry and redefine “camp food”. We’re seeking someone who desires to develop a culture of excellence and quality. Our hope is that HoneyRock will become known for producing food service professionals who launch into the world effective in their craft and as leaders. Over time, this reputation should naturally draw individuals who possess a passion for food service to work and develop here. This is a revamped role with significant opportunity to contribute to HoneyRock’s strategic priorities and growth in the years to come.
This position is responsible to the Finance Director to fulfill the mission, vision, and commitments of HoneyRock through the management of food service. This position is a natural fit for a leader who is teaching-oriented, creative, organized, thrives on system/process development, and maintains a good palate sense. A capable leader with a passion for teaching and developing staff in leadership competencies is vital to the role. This is a professional, full-time position located in the Northwoods of Wisconsin.
1. Leadership and Administration: Provide overall leadership to staff within the food service area and retail camp store. Maintain the ability to develop culture, lead teams and facilitate work through others. Strive for excellence in quality and professionalism. Food service includes indoor, outdoor and trip kitchen offerings. Administration includes creation of standard operating procedures, management of the food service budget, inventory/ordering and equipment needs in fiscally responsible manner. Provide program appropriate and cost effective outdoor food service for wilderness trips and on-site cookouts. Recruit, supervise, train and develop professional staff and up to 20 seasonal staff.
2. Culinary Instruction: Provide systems, content and training to staff and interns in the art of cooking and food service. Instruction involves hands-on application for staff so that they develop a firmer understanding of the practice and theory of food service and preparation. Instruction should be customizable, as needed, to meet the abilities of staff and interns. An interest in food preparation and the components of food that provide balanced nutrition is necessary. Maintain current knowledge of special diets, food components and trends popular across generations and cultures. Exercise the ability to prepare food and be able to teach individuals how to prepare food, no matter what culinary experience level a person possesses.
3. Ensure food quality and menu diversity are at the highest level for all guests, program participants and staff using sustainable practices: Provide healthy, safe, appetizing family-style meals while complying with all laws and regulations. Execute menu planning that nourishes all camp constituents while accommodating diverse palates and special dietary needs. Focus on creative meal preparation that utilizes scratch-made and fresh, wholesome foods to the greatest extent possible. Strive to utilize sustainable practices such as locally sourced food, composting, recycling, and food portion controls that minimize waste.
4. Coach and foster development of staff, students and campers: Fulfill the mission of HoneyRock through our leadership progression, internships, and various programs as participants serve in food and retail service as part of their experience at HoneyRock. Foster a culture of developmental coaching and vocational discipleship through growth producing experiences and training as appropriate. Set appropriate expectations and key performance indicators while providing appropriate feedback that cultivates growth.
5. Customer Relations: Ensure customer hospitality and food experience outperforms expectations. Provide a clean, welcoming and professional environment for all constituents. Instill hospitality values to students/staff by coaching and reinforcing best practices that develops the individual while maintaining a warm environment for guests.
6. Supervise a profitable retail camp store: Provide leadership and coordination for the camp store and coffee shop through supervision of students and seasonal staff who run day-to-day operations. Seek additional revenue streams that may include online sales and retail sales of HoneyRock signature items.
7. Organizational planning and coordination: Provide cross departmental planning and support as a member of the core professional staff of HoneyRock by participating in strategic planning, staff retreats, ministry assessment, and task forces as requested.
1. Bachelor or equivalent culinary degree.
2. Minimum of 4 years in the food service/hospitality industry.
3. Demonstrated management and organizational skills.
4. Ability to work with Microsoft Office and specially Excel to produce relevant reports.
5. Ability to work independently and accept supervision.
6. Skills in organization/administration and customer relations.
7. Ability read technical manuals and apply information relating to food service.
1. On-site housing is an option depending on family size and available space.
2. Wheaton College standard benefit package for full-time employees.
Apply Today Online: www.wheaton.edu
Time: Full-Time Year Round
Category: Food Services
Updated: 7/9/2018 4:34:51 PM