Search Page | Back to Results
Session Ministry Leader
Job Title: Session Ministry Leader
Department/Group: Summer Staff
Location: The Oaks Camp & Conference Center
Level/Salary Range: Seasonal / $220 per week with room and board provided Position Type: Full-time, salaried. Works Sunday-Friday for 5 weeks of summer camp, plus training weeks prior to camp.
Reports To: Program Director Job Description
THE OAKS SUMMER PROGRAM DESCRIPTION Through our summer programs we seek to partner with urban communities to transform lives by providing a dedicated space to empower urban Christian ministry. The Oaks partners with urban ministries to share the love of Christ with inner-city youth from cities all over California. We seek to offer a summer program with a biblical foundation to build up youth in a safe Christian community that includes campers, staff, guest speakers, and ministry leaders. Our daily schedule is full of fun, high-energy activities, and meaningful biblical lessons. In the evenings campers enjoy large group games and our lively fire circle program with skits, worship, and inspired teaching. Each summer camp week begins on Sunday afternoon and ends Friday. The Oaks summer camp program serves ages 1st-3rd grade, 4th-6th grade, Jr. High, and Sr. High with a week dedicated to each.
SUMMER MISSION For Campers: To exemplify the love of Christ to urban youth at camp for the benefit of transforming and developing disciples who live out their faith in the city. For Staff: To dedicate training and summer camp ministry as a platform for leadership development. For Ministries: To resource the urban Church with relevant, high quality, and Christ-centered programs.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ALL SUMMER MINISTRY STAFF
1. Wholeheartedly subscribes to World Impact’s Statement of Faith, Affirmation of Christian Commitment, Summer Staff Standards, and Philosophy of Ministry.
2. Demonstrate Christ-like attitude in all aspects of work and summer camp life.
3. Possesses a desire for ministry to urban youth in a cross cultural setting while exemplifying a sensitivity and love for a diverse community.
4. A desire to work with kids and teenagers in a Christian leadership capacity.
5. Full engagement in activities while displaying a positive and pleasant attitude. POSITION SUMMARY Under the direction of the Program Director, the Ministry Session Leader works to develop and implement special youth ministry sessions in alignment with the planned summer theme. They work alongside the Ministry Session Assistant to lead the Bible and Fire Circle teams in the planning and delivery of morning and evening programs. The Ministry Session Leader also creates lesson plans for performing arts classes, such as worship, drama, and dance for youth 5-19 years of age. This position will assist with other activities such as lunch meal games, meal hosting, evening lights out, party set-up/tear-down, carnival, supervising cabins as needed, etc.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Plan, organize, and implement the youth ministry sessions during summer camp, including: morning Bible and evening Fire Circle
2. Alongside the Ministry Session Assistant, lead the planning, equipping, and empowerment of Fire Circle and Bible teams to ensure the gospel message is portrayed through the summer theme. Integrate theme into music, drama, games, teaching, lessons, etc.
3. Assist the Bible Team to create curriculum to connect games, stunts, object lessons, skits, memory verses, decorations, music, crafts and testimonies to theme.
4. Help create an energetic and uplifting environment for youth from a multi-cultural background and sensitive to both unchurched and churched youth
5. Give oversight to coordinate all aspects of the session to enable quality. Must provide good leadership and delegation practices
6. Plan schedules, direct, and coordinate with team members and speakers to ensure smooth transitions and congruity
7. Develop performing arts classes like dance and drama for each week of camp (may utilize assistance by more experienced summer staff)
8. Help develop 5-10 minute age-age appropriate Bible messages, integrating the gospel and summer camp theme, to present daily to grades 1-3, grades 4-6, Jr. High, and Sr. High
9. Develop daily cabin devotional material/content and teach the counselors how to present devotions to the campers during orientation. Continue to coach counselors as needed throughout the camp sessions
10. Manage inventory of supplies for drama, fire circle, classes, and devotionals 11. Help in other areas of the camp as needed QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Passion and experience in teaching and sharing scriptural truth with children and teens
2. Organized and able to develop lesson plans and execute them in a creative and interesting manner
3. In depth knowledge of the Bible and Bible study aids
4. Experienced in creating devotional and/or reflection materials
5. Experience with inner city ministry or a strong knowledge of inner-city issues is a must
6. Able to be a mature, loving, but firm disciplinarian
7. Good listener and communicator and comfortable speaking in front of large groups
8. Able to encourage and lead peers in their personal walks with Christ
9. Can type and use a computer to produce word sheets, scripts, and other documents
10. Be able to work alongside other leadership staff and be team oriented
11. Understand leadership principles in relation to organizing summer staff teams 12. Possesses good organizational, communication and administration skills
13. Have an understanding of how to lead progression of worship
14. Able to understand and teach the basic principles that constitute drama
15. Able to supervises campers while instructing performing arts classes
16. Capable of moving props, instruments, stands, sound equipment in and out of the drama closet
17. Must be 20 or older and live on-site for duration of Summer Camp season
1. Able to understand and teach the basic principles that constitute dance, drama, or worship
2. Possesses skill in leading worship through music for children and youth
3. Team leadership and delegation to equip and empower session teams
4. Lesson planning for multi-age and multi-cultural youth.
Time: Full-Time Seasonal
Updated: 1/27/2017 11:33:14 AM