Search Page | Back to Results
Sports & Recreation Leader
Title: Sports & Recreation Leader
Department/Group: Summer Staff
Location: The Oaks Camp & Conference Center
Level/Salary Range: Seasonal / $220 per week with room and board provided
Position Type: Full-time, salaried. Works Sunday-Friday for 5 weeks of summer camp,
plus training weeks prior to camp.
Reports To: Program Director
THE OAKS SUMMER PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
Through our summer programs we seek to partner with urban communities to transform lives by providing a dedicated space to empower urban Christian ministry. The Oaks partners with urban ministries to share the love of Christ with inner-city youth from cities all over California. We seek to offer a summer program with a biblical foundation to build up youth in a safe Christian community that includes campers, staff, guest speakers, and ministry leaders. Our daily schedule is full of fun, high-energy activities, and meaningful biblical lessons. In the evenings campers enjoy large group games and our lively fire circle program with skits, worship, and inspired teaching. Each summer camp week begins on Sunday afternoon and ends Friday. The Oaks summer camp program serves ages 1st-3rd grade, 4th-6th grade, Jr. High, and Sr. High with a week dedicated to each.
For Campers: To exemplify the love of Christ to urban youth at camp for the benefit of transforming and developing disciples who live out their faith in the city.
For Staff: To dedicate training and summer camp ministry as a platform for leadership development.
For Ministries: To resource the urban Church with relevant, high quality, and Christ-centered programs.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ALL SUMMER MINISTRY STAFF
1. Wholeheartedly subscribes to World Impact’s Statement of Faith, Affirmation of Christian
Commitment, Summer Staff Standards, and Philosophy of Ministry.
2. Demonstrate Christ-like attitude in all aspects of work and summer camp life.
3. Possesses a desire for ministry to urban youth in a cross cultural setting while
exemplifying a sensitivity and love for a diverse community.
4. A desire to work with kids and teenagers in a Christian leadership capacity.
5. Full engagement in activities while displaying a positive and pleasant attitude.
Under the direction of the Program Leadership Team, the Sports and Recreation Leader develops
and implements activities in alignment with the planned summer theme and mission. They are
responsible for leading the Sports and Recreation Team to facilitate large group games and
various sports and recreation activities within our summer program. The Sports & Recreation
Leader also designs curriculum for sports classes as well as orchestrates special events like
Carnival and Party. This position also helps with various tasks as assigned by leaders.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develop curriculum and train staff to teach morning sports classes including basketball,
soccer, archery, volleyball, kickball and many others.
2. Teach various sports and recreation classes to youth 1st grade through Sr. High (each week has a different age range).
3. Learn to set-up and tear-down our skate park elements.
4. Maintain all recreation equipment and purchase new equipment as necessary.
5. Run free-time archery daily.
6. Plan and implement age-appropriate all-camp “Evening Games” on the field for all weeks of camp.
7. Equip and resource Sports and Recreation Team to lead positive, fun, and engaging
activities that integrate the summer theme and summer camp mission.
8. Coordinate with other team leaders to ensure smooth transitions and congruity in
scheduling and activities.
9. Provide clear communication to all staff and campers regarding necessary rules and how
to best prep for activities
10. Plan and lead carnival and party setup and tear down.
11. Help in other areas of camp as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Strong administrative skills and interpersonal communication
2. Ability to plan and implement sports curriculum
3. Must be flexible and possesses strong organizational and time-management skills
4. Be a team player with the leadership skills necessary to lead a team of peers in order to
5. Able to manage and work within a budget
6. Live a Christ centered life in front of the campers and staff. Exemplify Christian leadership and a commitment to teamwork.
7. First Aid and/or CPR Certified, or willingness to be trained at personal cost
8. Must be 20 or older and live on-site for duration of Summer Camp season
1. Experience in organizing and facilitating large group games
2. Knowledge of or experience in various sports and recreational activities
Time: Full-Time Seasonal
Category: Outdoor Education
Updated: 1/27/2017 11:33:35 AM