Search Page | Back to Results
Director of Grounds
Director of Grounds
Glorieta Camps, Glorieta, NM
We are looking for someone with a strong work ethic and a desire to live and work in a close community to serve as the Director of Ground. We are passionate about our mission statement and are looking for a like-minded person who is willing to serve alongside us. Please thoughtfully consider each part of our mission statement, job description, and description of our ministry and community before applying.
To inspire Christ-like change through Outdoor Adventure, Authentic Relationships, and Biblical Truth.
Title: Director of Grounds
Reports To: Operations Director
Job Purpose: To fulfill our mission by maintaining grounds in a way that takes care of the land and property that we have been blessed with, complementing its natural beauty, being a good steward of the resources we have been given, and minimizing risks for our guests and staff in manner that will facilitate a positive experience for our guests while they are on camp grounds.
This position is responsible for developing and maintaining the entire property from the doorways of buildings out. This includes performing the following tasks or managing those who do: fertilizing, irrigating, mowing, ground aeration, weed eating, weeding, applying pesticides and herbicides, road and walkway maintenance, tree care and removal, forest development, designing and managing landscape and flower beds according to an approved landscaping plan, data entry for physical assets you manage and tasks, trash management, and many others. This is a management role responsible for leading a year-round crew, summer staff, and short-term volunteer work crews.
Glorieta is located 20 miles Southeast of Santa Fe, NM on Interstate 25. The property is 2400 acres consisting of a 400-acre campus with 205 buildings and approximately 3000 beds. The campus includes approximately 4 miles of paved roads, 4 irrigated turf fields, a 3-acre lake, and an 11-acre prayer garden, all at an elevation of 7500 ft.
Desired Skills and Abilities
* Proven success as a manager of a similar type of property or in a similar role
* Experience in turf management preferably in a commercial or recreational setting.
* Landscape maintenance and design ideally in a recreational, institutional or commercial setting
* Knowledge of or experience in a high desert climate and ecosystem
* Tree care and removal including chainsaw work
* Medium to large equipment operation including, snow plows, skid steers, forklift, backhoe, and, small engines
* General knowledge or experience in maintenance or handyman skills, including plumbing, welding, carpentry, electrical, small engine and vehicle maintenance.
* Thorough understanding of safety regulations and precautions, including OSHA standards for the field
* Ability to provide effective orientations and continuing training to minimize accidents and injuries
Character, Education, Abilities, Skills, Experience
The “ideal” candidate will have or be:
* A personal relationship with Christ that permeates all aspects of his/her life
* Several years of experience of leadership or management position with a proven ability to manage people of different abilities in a similar type role.
* Ability to communicate well with team members, staff, and guests
* A strong desire to learn new things quickly
* A strong sense of self-motivation and good work ethic
* Previous experience in any of the duties listed is preferred
* Willingness to perform routine tasks regularly and on time, with deadlines weekly and monthly for most tasks.
* Have a natural ability or strong desire for organization
* Willingness to perform many tasks alone
* An eye for things that need to be done and how to make them more excellent
* Knowledge in storing equipment, tools, and chemicals in an organized manner while adhering to safe work practices
* Understanding of the different types of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) needed for various tasks and how to properly use the equipment
* Ability to read, understand, and follow manufacturer's material for the equipment, tools, and chemicals that will be used
* Ability to develop policies and procedures to ensure a safe, efficient, and cost-effective operations
This job will be performed primarily on-site at Glorieta Camps in New Mexico.
The makeup of our community determines a large part of what it is like to live and work here. We have about 130 people who live on-site year-round in approximately 70 homes, comprised of full-time staff, families, and gap-year students. Glorieta is a beautiful place with many natural resources but calls for somewhat remote living.
Occasional trips to town for parts. Possible infrequent travel to workshop training, such as irrigation, turf management, or landscape courses.
Will consistently work outdoors, over rough terrain in all weather conditions. Will operate heavy machinery and machinery that requires caution, such as, chainsaws, snow plows, mowers, tractors, backhoes, skid steers, dump trucks, and other small engine equipment, and sharp tools. Will infrequently work at height and on slippery surfaces.
Ability to lift heavy loads occasionally up to 60 lbs. Will often walk all over the property and facilities, occasionally stand for a lengthy period of time, and regularly bend and squat to maintain equipment. Will get your hands and clothes dirty often.
Salary, On-site housing, medical insurance, 401(k) Retirement package after one year, and paid vacation time. See Human Resources and potential supervisor for details.
Other Duties of ALL Glorieta Staff
Glorieta operates year-round. We have guests on the premises almost every day of the year. Serving guests is our number one priority, and therefore ALL staff may participate in guest service in some capacity. Tasks may include, cleaning, facilitating group activities, general maintenance of camp property, and work projects as needed. There are often groups here on weekends, and all staff members will be required to work certain weekends as needed or on call to perform duties such as snow removal, trash pickup or other emergency services.
This Job Description is not a complete description of all that is necessary to do your job. Also, all camp employees are expected to do what it takes to work as a team, even with other departments, to serve guests. This is not only an expectation but a value that we hold to as an organization. We will help each other get the mission done!
If interested in applying please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Time: Full-Time Year Round
Updated: 2/16/2017 3:52:48 PM